You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


I have trouble communicating with the school. What if I do not understand English very well?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed July 2023

The school must communicate with you in the language you speak at home. The school should give you all written documents in English and in the language you speak at home. All types of communication must also be provided in the language you speak at home. This includes:

  • every letter,
  • phone call,
  • meeting and,
  • conversation. 

The school must use an interpreter if needed. The interpreter should:

  • be fluent in English and in the language you speak at home, and 
  • have training in the role of an interpreter, special education terms, and confidentiality.

If you cannot read or you are blind or Deaf, the school must give you all the information you need in a way you understand.

Tell the school the best way to contact you -- phone calls, texts, or emails.



Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

special ed resources box

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm