You are here

Can my child with disabilities go to college?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute & Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts
Created February, 2022

If your child with disabilities wants to go to college, the school should help prepare them. Your child will not have an IEP or a 504 plan in college, but they can get accommodations.

They should speak with the college’s disability office. As part of your child’s IEP goals while they are still in high school, the school can help them learn to advocate for themselves when they go to college.

While your child is still in high school, ask the IEP Team about the Massachusetts Inclusive Concurrent Enrollment Initiative (“ICEI” or “MAICEI”). The program is free. It lets students who are still in high school:

  • take college courses for credit or non-credit,
  • be part of campus life, and 
  • learn skills to help them work and  live alone.

Your child may qualify for the program if they:

  • have an intellectual disability,
  • get special education services through an IEP and,
    • are 21 or 22 years old, or
    • are 18-20 and did not pass MCAS but  still receiving special ed services through an IEP. 

See the Massachusetts Inclusive Concurrent Enrollment Initiative on Massachusetts Department of Education website.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm