What if I am deaf or hard of hearing?

We are in the process of updating the SNAP Advocacy Guide, so some of the information is no longer current.  In the meantime, you can read or download a pdf of the 2022 guide from www.masslegalservices.org/FoodStampSNAPAdvocacyGuide

Produced by Patricia Baker and Victoria Negus, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed January 2020

If you are deaf or hard of hearing, DTA must ensure effective communication with you. 106 C.M.R.§360.510. DTA requires staff to be trained on and use auxiliary aids.

Both the printed and online SNAP applications ask if you need support services or have a special situation for which you need interpretation services. This can include if you need interpretation, communication access real time translation (CART), or sign language interpretation to communicate with your case manager.

5 DTA local offices have Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) services:

  • Brockton
  • Newmarket Square
  • Lawrence
  • Springfield
  • Worcester

VRI is an auxiliary aid to communicate with Deaf and hard of hearing individuals using remote American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter services. If you are Deaf or hard of hearing and would like ASL interpreter service through VRI, go to an office with VRI or contact a Client Assistance Coordinator to set up an appointment in advance.
For a list of Client Assistance Coordinators in each local office, go to Masslegalservices.org/content/dta-client-assistance-coordinators-disability-access

DTA Online Guide:

Show DTA Policy Guidance

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Help us improve MassLegalHelp!

Take a short survey to tell us what works and what is missing.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm