Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


What do I need when I apply for shelter?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute, Rosie's Place
Created June 2014

You need to give EOHLC documents that prove who you are and that you live in Massachusetts. You also need to prove your income and show why you are homeless.

If you can give them all the documents they need, and you meet the rules, EOHLC will find you “fully eligible” and place you in shelter.

If it looks like you are eligible, but you only have the documents that prove who you are and that you are a Massachusetts resident, EOHLC must give you a temporary shelter placement called “presumptive placement.” If you get presumptive placement, you have 30 days to give EOHLC the rest of the documents they need.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm