You are here

Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


What if the landlord does not agree to give me enough time to move?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute with assistance from legal services offices in Massachusetts
Created May 2017

What if the landlord does not agree to give me enough time to move?

If you think your landlord will not agree to give you enough time to move:

  • Ask for a review date in court instead of an actual move-out date. Put this in the agreement. This keeps the process moving. If you cannot find a place by the review date, report your efforts back to the landlord. They may give you more time. If your landlord does not agree to give you more time, you can ask a judge for more time.
  • Pay while you stay. If you cannot pay back the rent you owe, but you can pay the current rent, offer to pay rent while you stay in the apartment and look for a new place. If your landlord agrees to this, put it in the agreement. This way, you can stay in your apartment while you look for another place and the landlord does not lose more rent.


Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Get Negotiating a Settlement (Booklet 10)

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm