You are here

Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


Negotiating a Settlement of Your Case

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute with assistance from legal services offices in Massachusetts
Created May 2017

Negotiating a Settlement of Your Case

If you are facing an eviction, negotiating a settlement with your landlord can be a better way to resolve your case than going before a judge. With a settlement, you can come up with terms that fit your situation. Other times going before a judge may be better.

The settlement with your landlord can be called an Agreement, Agreement for Judgment, or a Stipulation.  This booklet explains the difference.  


  • Never sign an agreement if you do not understand it.
  • Only sign an agreement if you are sure you can do the things you have agreed to.
  • Get help. Ask if there is a Lawyer for the Day Program or volunteer lawyers in the court.
  • Ask if the court has mediators to help landlords and tenants explore solutions.
  • Tell your side of the story. Speak up for what you need.
  • You are not required to make an agreement.
  • You have the right to have a judge or jury decide your case.
  • If your landlord pressures you to sign an agreement, tell the clerk you want to see a mediator.

Watch the videos on the pages below

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Get Negotiating a Settlement (Booklet 10)

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm