Massachusetts college students must have health insurance, but you have options.
- Your school will offer you health insurance, but other options may provide better coverage for less money.
- If you have other health coverage, you must ask for a waiver to avoid paying for your school's insurance.
- There are deadlines to waive your school's insurance! Check with your school for details.
Your other coverage options:
- Your parent's insurance
- If it covers dependents, and
- You are under 26 (there is no age limit if you're disabled and it is MA insurance).
- MassHealth: Low to no-cost health coverage.
- Health Connector: Help paying for private insurance through the MA Health Connector.
- Job-based insurance: If you have a full or part-time job.
Need help paying for health coverage?
Apply for MassHealth or insurance from the Health Connector online: mahix.org/individual
Get help applying: my.mahealthconnector.org/enrollment-assisters
More information about MassHealth: mass.gov/topics/masshealth
More information from the Health Connector for students: mahealthconnector.org/learn/tools-resources/individuals-families/student-health-insurance