You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


How much does Medicare cost?

Produced by Greater Boston Legal Services, Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation, Community Legal Aid, and Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed March 2022

For 2023 Medicare costs, see this Medicare Advocacy Project flyer.

The different Medicare parts each have different costs:

  • Premiums are a regular, insurance payment. Most people pay their premiums monthly and the amount stays the same from month to month;
  • Deductibles are the amount of money you pay towards medical bills before Medicare starts to help pay;
  • Copayments are a share of each medical bill;
  • Coinsurance is the amount you may have to share with Medicare after you have paid your deductible. Medicare pays a percent and you pay a percent. Your percent is called coinsurance.


Medicare costs go up almost every year. Figures in this article are all for 2022.

Part A: Hospital insurance


  • If you or your spouse worked and paid into the Medicare system for at least ten years, Part A has no monthly premium.
  • If you get Social Security Retirement benefits or Railroad Retirement benefits, Part A has no monthly premium.
  • If neither you nor your spouse paid into the system for at least ten years, you must pay a monthly Part A premium. In 2022, the Part A premium can cost up to $499 per month. The cost of your premium depends on how long you worked and how long you paid into the system.

Deductibles, co-payments and coinsurance

The other expenses under Medicare Part A are different if go to a hospital, hospice, skilled nursing facility, or you get home health care.


For the first 60 days you are in the hospital, you may pay a $1,556 deductible and no coinsurance. Then, on day 61 up to day 90 you pay $389/day coinsurance.

Part B: Supplementary Medical Insurance


In 2022, most people's Part B premiums cost $170.10 per month. If you are single and you make $88,000 a year or you are married and you make $176,000 or more, your premium is more. You can pay up to $578.30 each month.


Your 2022 deductible is the first $233 for Part B-covered services or items.

Copayments and coinsurance

For Part B services, Medicare generally pays 80% of the bill and you pay the remaining 20%.

Part C: Medicare Advantage

If you have a Part C Medicare Advantage plan, you must pay:

  1. a Part B premium, and
  2. a Part A premium if you have one, plus
  3. any premium that your Part C plan charges for extra coverage.

Your Part C plan will also determine the deductible, coinsurance, and copayment rates.

Part D: Prescription Drug Insurance


  • 2022 Part D monthly premiums in Massachusetts vary greatly, depending on what plan you choose. The monthly average basic national premium for 2022 is estimated to be $33.00.
  • Your plan will set your premium amount.
  • Your premium will be higher if you are single and you make $88,000 a year or more, or your are married and together you make $176,000, or more.


Part D plans set their own rates; however, Part D plans cannot charge more than $480 for an annual deductible in 2022.

Coinsurance and copayments

  • Part D plans set their own coinsurance and copayment rates.
  • After you pay your deductible, you may have to pay up to 25% of your drug costs up to $4,430.
  • Once you have used $4,430 in drug costs, but you have not spent $7,050, you are in the “coverage gap.” You may have to continue to pay 25% of your drug costs while you are in the “coverage gap.”
  • After you have used $7,050, you have reached “catastrophic coverage.” You only have to pay limited costs for the rest of the year. The limits are $3.95 for generic drugs, $9.85 for name-brand drugs, or 5% of any further costs, whichever is higher.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Phone or Email

Health Care For All’s Helpline is free and available to everyone statewide.

Medicare Advocacy Project

Call the Medicare Advocacy Project to apply for free legal help:

Greater Boston Legal Services: 617-603-1700
Serving Essex, Middlesex, Norfolk, and Suffolk counties

Community Legal Aid: 855-252-5342
Serving Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire, and Worcester counties

South Coastal Counties Legal Services: 800-244-8393
Serving Barnstable, Bristol, Dukes, Nantucket, and Plymouth counties

Flyer: 2023 Original Medicare Costs

More Help

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm