You are here

What happens after we file our agreement to change an order or a judgment?

Produced by Attorney Jeff Wolf for MassLegalHelp
Reviewed October 2019

The judge will look at your papers and decide if it is necessary to have a hearing.

The judge may schedule a hearing

The judge will schedule a hearing if

  • the forms are not filled out correctly;
  • the forms are not signed;
  • the Agreement changes a judgment and your signatures are not notarized;
  • the judge has questions about the agreement; or
  • the judge needs more information.

If the judge decides a hearing is necessary, the court notify you of the time and date of the hearing. You should get this notice within 21 days of filing your Joint Petition/Motion to Change a Judgment or Temporary Order.

The judge may decide a hearing is not necessary

If the judge decides a hearing is not necessary, they will approve or dismiss your case within 30 days of when you filed.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm