You are here

Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


What can I do if the school is wrong about my child?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute & Justice Center of Southeastern Massachusetts
Created February, 2022

I disagree with:

The school’s evaluation

If the school’s evaluation is wrong, you can get an independent evaluation


If you do not agree with the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) you can reject all or part of it.

My child's placement

If you think the school’s placement for your child is wrong, you can reject that part of the IEP.


If you disagree with the IEP or placement, your child can still get special education services. See “Stay Put

 If you have concerns that you want to discuss with the school, you can request an IEP Team Meeting any time during the school year, even if you have already had a meeting that year.

You can ask the Bureau of Special Education Appeals (BSEA) for a hearing if the school district decides:

  • Your child does not qualify for special education, or
  • You cannot come to an agreement about services or a placement.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm