You are here

Can I get help to figure out if the IEP is helping my child?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute & Justice Center of Southeastern Massachusetts
Created February, 2022

If you think your child is not making “effective progress,” ask for a Team Meeting.  At the meeting tell the Team your child may need a change to their IEP or a different placement.

An independent evaluator can help you understand if your child’s IEP and placement are helping.  The evaluator can:

  • Review your child’s school records,
  • Test your child, and
  • Observe them in the classroom.

Talk to other people who work with you child outside of school.  Talk to people like therapists and mentors.  Ask them what they think your child needs to make effective progress.


How do I get my child's school records?

How do I know if the IEP has all the services my child needs?


Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm