You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Transitional Aid for Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC)

Produced by Deborah Harris, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute, and Ruthie Liberman, Crittenton Women’s Union
Created October 2010

TAFDC provides cash assistance to pregnant women and
families with children.

Q1: Can I get TAFDC benefits if I am a college

You may be eligible to receive TAFDC if your income is
low and you are the parent or relative of a child in your care, or you are
pregnant and your baby is due in four months or less.

  • Depending on the age of your youngest child, many TAFDC
    recipients have to meet a Work Program requirement of 20, 24, or 30 hours a
  • You can count 12 months of college or training
    towards the Work Program requirement (this could be three or four semesters) as
    long as the program is at least half time, the activities are expected to lead
    to a job, and you are making satisfactory progress. Each credit hour counts as
    two hours of participation (for example, 12 credit hours count as 24 hours of
    your Work Program requirement). You can also count additional hours of study or
    lab time, if they are supervised.
  • After you have attended college or training for
    12 months, you may be able to go to school and still meet the Work Program
    requirement.  For example, you could participate in a work-study program or a volunteer
    job at the college.
  • Some TAFDC recipients are not subject to the Work
    Program requirement.

Q2:  What are the TAFDC benefits for college

If you are eligible for TAFDC, you may receive all of
the following:

  • A monthly cash benefit (paid semi-monthly). The
    amount varies based on income, family size, and other factors.  For example,
    the basic benefit for a family of three with no countable income and not
    subject to the Work Program is $593 a month, plus $40 a month if you pay rent
    for private, unsubsidized housing.
  • Food Stamps/SNAP benefits
  • MassHealth (health insurance)
  • An additional $150 per child in September to buy
  • Free child care for college and work activities
  • Transportation assistance for college and work

Q3:  Where do I apply for

Apply at your local DTA office. Find your local DTA office online, or call

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm