You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Subsidized Housing

Produced by Deborah Harris, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute, and Ruthie Liberman, Crittenton Women’s Union
Created October 2010

There are three basic types of government-funded housing in Massachusetts that help make rents more affordable for low- and moderate-income people:

  • Public housing
  • Vouchers
  • Multi-family subsidized housing

Housing assistance is limited in Massachusetts.  Many people
eligible for housing assistance must wait for years on a waiting list until
they actually receive help.  Housing assistance programs have a number of
requirements such as income restrictions. 

Q1:  If I’m a student, can I get help paying
for housing?

Full- and part-time students are eligible to apply for most
housing assistance programs.  However, two large federally funded housing
programs—Section 8 and the Low-Income Housing Credit programs (sometimes known
as “Tax Credit housing”)—do place limits on some adult students. 

Q2:  Am I eligible for a Section 8 voucher?

In general, students who are under age 24 are not eligible
to apply as the head of the household.  These rules apply to part-time students
as well as full-time students.

However, you may still be eligible if ANY one of the
following is true:

  • You are a veteran.
  • You are married.
  • You have a dependent child.

Q3:  Am I eligible for housing under the Low-Income Housing
Credit programs (Tax Credit housing)?

Many full-time students are not eligible to apply for Tax Credit
housing as the head of a household. 

However, full-time students are eligible if ANY one of
the following is true:

  • You are receiving Supplementary Security Income (SSI) benefits.
  • You were previously under the care of the state’s foster care
  • You are a single parent, and no one can claim you or your
    children as dependents.
  • You are married and file (or could file) taxes jointly with your
  • You are enrolled in job training through the Workforce Investment
    Act or a similar government program.

You may also be eligible if ANY one of the following is true:

  • Someone living in your house is not a full-time student.
  • You attend school less than full time.
  • You were a full-time student for four calendar months or less in
    a calendar year.

Landlords may not know these rules and sometimes refuse to
rent to students who are eligible, so it is important to know the eligibility

Q4:  How do I apply for a housing assistance program?

Call the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community
Development at

617.573.1100, and ask for a copy of a booklet called How
to Obtain Housing Assistance in Massachusetts

Q5:  What should I do if I am eligible but the
landlord refuses to rent to me because I am a student?

Find your local legal services program.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm