You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Beyond Financial Aid 2010

Produced by Deborah Harris, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute, and Ruthie Liberman, Crittenton Women’s Union
Created October 2010

If you are a low-income adult and about to enroll in college or other post-secondary training, or if you have already begun a program, this booklet is for you.

College or training can help you get a job that pays higher wages and/or offers better benefits, but obtaining a degree or credential takes time and money. Public programs can offer support, but sometimes the rules about who is eligible for public benefits, such as housing assistance, food stamps, or unemployment insurance, are different for students.  This booklet will help you determine which public benefits may be available to you and your family while you go to school.

If you are considering furthering your education, check out our section on Going to School and Paying for School: Making Wise Choices .

If you are in school or about to enter school, take a look at the sections on Food Stamps/SNAP, Transitional Assistance to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC), Health Insurance, Child Care, Unemployment Insurance, and Subsidized Housing to learn which public benefits you may be eligible for.

If you are paying for school yourself, the section on Tax Benefits provides information that may help you pay less federal income tax or receive a higher refund.

You can also find a Glossary of some important terms, as well as a list of public colleges and universities in Massachusetts.

However, please keep in mind that laws and regulations change frequently.  Before you take action, you may wish to check that policies you read about here have not changed since this article was published.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm