You are here

Can my child get help getting a job after high school?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute & Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts
Created February, 2022

If your child wants a job or is interested in a particular career, the school should prepare them. .  The IEP should include your child's goal of getting a job. It should also include transition services like exploring different types of jobs, learning to interview, and getting internships or volunteer opportunities.

In addition to your child’s IEP services, ask Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) about Pre-Employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS). These can include:

  • Job exploration counseling.
  • Work readiness training.
  • Work-based learning experiences.
  • Counseling in post-secondary education, and
  • Learning to advocate for yourself.

Contact your local MRC office or ask the school for a referral.


The school must still provide transition services that are in your child's IEP, even if your child gets services from MRC. These services are not the same.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm