You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


How do I get an interpreter?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed July 2023

If you need an interpreter, ask for one.  You can say,

“I speak ­­­­­__________. I need an interpreter.”  Or, you can show the program staff a flier in Spanish, Portuguese, Vietnamese, or Haitian Creole to ask for help. Or, use this poster to show the staff the language you speak. They should give you a free interpreter.

They must not:

  • Make you pay for an interpreter,
  • Ask you to bring your own interpreter, or
  • Send you away because you do not speak English. They must help you the same day.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm