You are here

I am disabled and unable to work. Do I have to do an employment plan with my VSO?

Produced by Veterans Legal Clinic Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School
Created August 2018
No.  If you are unemployed because you are unable to work, you should provide proof of your disability to the VSO.  Evidence of a disability might be a letter showing that you get VA pension, SSI, or SSDI or a letter from your doctor.
If you are unemployed and able to work, the VSO will make an employment plan with you that tells you the steps you must take to try to find a job. The VSO will give this plan to DVS within 90 days of submitting your application for Chapter 115 benefits. If you disagree with the plan or the VSO’s decision that you are able to work, you can appeal.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Chapter 115 Benefits for Veterans and their Dependents

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm