Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


Can I fix problems without going to a hearing?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed March 2023

Yes. You can try to fix problems by talking with a DTA worker, Supervisor, Office Director or calling the DTA Ombuds Office.

Start by trying to figure out what happened in your case, when your benefits started or stopped, and what notices you were sent. See How do I get information about my SNAP case online or with my smartphone? for information about DTA Connect.

Second, call the DTA Assistance Line and ask the DTA worker to explain to you the reason for DTA's action on your benefits.

If you do not get a satisfactory answer, ask for a Supervisor or the Assistant Director in the office you are calling. You can also file a complaint with the Department by speaking with a manager or the DTA Ombuds Office at 617-348-5354.  See How can the DTA Ombuds Office help?

Even if you are trying to fix the problem, you can ask for a hearing at the same time. You can always withdraw the hearing request if DTA agrees to fix the problem and correct your benefits. 106 C.M.R. § 343.350

Discrimination complaints

If you believe you have been discriminated against based on your race, gender, national origin, disability, age, religious creed, national origin, or political beliefs, you have a right to file a complaint with:

Director, Office of Adjudication
U.S. Department of Agriculture
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20250-9410

Director of Equal Opportunity
Department of Transitional Assistance
600 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02111

106 C.M.R. §§ 360.200-360.220. You need to include your name, address, and phone number as well as information on what happened (date, office, name of person you interacted with, whatever you know). You need to file this complaint within 180 days of the incident.

For legal help, call the nearest Legal Services office. See Appendix E for a list of Legal Services offices.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm