What is Change Reporting for cash assistance households?

We are in the process of updating the SNAP Advocacy Guide, so some of the information is no longer current.  In the meantime, you can read or download a pdf of the 2022 guide from www.masslegalservices.org/FoodStampSNAPAdvocacyGuide

Produced by Patricia Baker and Victoria Negus, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed January 2020

Reporting requirements are different for households that only get cash assistance from DTA (TAFDC or EAEDC). 106 C.M.R. § 366.110(A). If your household receives cash assistance, you are not on simplified reporting. This may change during 2020. Call your DTA case manager to ask what reporting rules you need to follow.


If you get cash assistance from DTA, you must report the following within 10 days of the change:

  • Your income (earned or unearned) goes up or down by more than $100 per month. This is the rule for SNAP regardless of how your income is treated for TAFDC (even if DTA is disregarding 100% of your income for TAFDC).
  • You start or stop a job.
  • You move and your rent, mortgage or utilities changed.
  • Who lives with you changed (for example, someone moved in or out, or a baby was born).
  • You are legally obligated to pay child support and your obligation changed. See What is the child support deduction?

If your SNAP benefits will go down or end because of a change, DTA must give send you a notice at least 10 days in advance of the date your SNAP will change. Your benefits will not be decreased or stopped until after this ten day period. 106 C.M.R. § 366.200.


Mary usually receives her SNAP benefit on the 2nd of the month. On 11/15, she reports an increase in income. By November 25, DTA must send her a written notice that her SNAP will go down. DTA cannot reduce her benefits until 12/5, 10 days after that notice. Since Mary will already have received her next SNAP on 12/2, her benefits will not decrease until January.

DTA does not have to give you a 10 day notice of a change when DTA has confirmed information that a household member has died, when there is a mass change (such as a Social Security cost of living adjustment) or in certain other situations. 106 C.M.R. §§366.210, 106 C.M.R. §366.215. In some situations, your benefits can be reduced or ended right away. 106 C.M.R. §366.120(C). You still have the right to appeal. See Appeal Rights .


DTA Online Guide:  SNAP > Certification Types > Change Reporting

Show DTA Policy Guidance

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Help us improve MassLegalHelp!

Take a short survey to tell us what works and what is missing.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm