You are here

What are the reporting rules for older adults and persons with disabilities without earned income (EDSAP)?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed March 2023

The Elder/Disabled Simplified Application Project (EDSAP) is intended to help eligible older adults and persons with disabilities more readily keep their SNAP benefits. There is less paperwork for you to fill out and less work for DTA to process your case. For example, your SNAP benefits are certified for 3 years (36 months) at a time, you do not need a Recertification interview or fill out any Interim Reports-- just certain changes listed below.

You are eligible for EDSAP even if you have children in the household under age 18 as long as every adult in your household is:

  • Age 60 or older, or
  • Receives a disability-based benefit, and
  • Does not have earned income.

Under EDSAP, you only need to tell DTA about two changes:

  • When someone joins or leaves your household, or
  • If you or anyone in the household starts to work.

You need to tell DTA about these changes by the 10th day of the month following the month of the change. If these changes apply to you, DTA will move your case from EDSAP to Simplified Reporting. See What is Simplified Reporting and when must I report changes to DTA?


Edward, age 65, starts a new job in November and receives his first pay check on November 28. He needs to report the earnings to DTA by December 10th. Edward’s SNAP case will be moved out of EDSAP and he will be required to complete an Interim Report every 6 months. He is still certified for SNAP for the remainder of his 3 year certification period.

If you are on EDSAP, you are NOT required to tell DTA about any other changes. However, it is best to report increases in expenses if you are not getting the maximum SNAP benefit, such as an increase in rent or medical costs.

If you are eligible for EDSAP, DTA will send you a notice, when your 3 year certification period ends, and your reporting requirements. You can also call DTA (including the Senior Assistance Office) to ask if your SNAP case is an EDSAP case.


DTA Online Guide: See Appendix G for links to the DTA’s BEACON Online Guide for this section.


Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm