Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Can someone else help me apply for SNAP?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed March 2023

Yes! You can always ask a family member, friend, or social services agency to help you fill out an application. They can also help you send in proofs, go with you to a local DTA office, and/or participate in a phone interview with you - with your permission. See Does DTA have to interview me? to learn more about the interview.

But you should sign the application and participate in the interview. That’s because you are legally responsible for all the information on the application. DTA must not conduct any SNAP interview without you!

If the helping friend or agency gives DTA incorrect information – or leaves out information that is important to tell DTA – you may end up with a SNAP overpayment, or worse. The helping agency that gave DTA wrong information about your situation could be legally liable as well.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm