How do I send DTA my documents?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed June 2023

You can send documents to DTA many ways: 106 C.M.R.§361.650.

  1. Take a photo and upload your documents through DTA Connect. The documents go straight into your DTA case record. This is the fastest way to get DTA proofs! See How do I get information about my SNAP case online or with my smartphone?
  2. Fax documents to DTA at 617-887-8765. 
  3. Mail documents to:

    Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA)
    P.O. Box 4406, Taunton, MA 02780-0420

  4. Hand-deliver documents to any local DTA office in person. DTA should help you scan them directly into your case and give you back your original documents. 

Troubleshooting tips:

Urgent action: If you need DTA to take quick action on your case, ask to speak with a DTA worker or manager who can look at the documents. Currently, DTA has a “self-service” model in local offices and may tell you they cannot review the documents you bring in. If you need urgent help at a DTA office and do not get it, contact MLRI at [email protected].   

Pre-paid envelopes: DTA has postage-paid envelopes available at local offices pre-labeled with the DTA Document Center address in Taunton. DTA can also mail you these envelopes if you ask for them. 

Tracking your documents: It's bet to upload your documents directly to your DTA Connect account. If you mail or fax your documents to DTA, keep track of the date and proof that you sent DTA the documents in case documents get lost. Write on each page of the document your name and your DTA “Agency ID” (if you know it) or the last 4 digits of your SSN.

Faxing proofs: If you are faxing a double-sided document, don’t forget to fax both sides! And photos or documents printed on gray or color paper do not fax clearly-send these documents in through DTA Connect.

DTA Online Guide: See Appendix G for links to the DTA's BEACON 5 Online Guide for this section.


Show DTA Policy Guidance

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm