DTA must administer the program in accordance with the federal regulations issued by USDA and any waivers or demonstration projects approved by USDA.
- The federal regulations are printed in Title 7 of the Code of Federal Regulations (7 C.F.R. § 271 et seq.).
- USDA publishes proposed, interim and final rules
- You can also find USDA’s policy memos and program updates
DTA issues its own SNAP regulations. The DTA SNAP regulations are printed in Chapter 106 of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations (C.M.R.).
DTA policy guidance:
DTA issues a wide range of guidance on how the SNAP and cash eligibility rules work, BEACON rules, when to issue notices and more:
- The DTA Online Guide has detailed information written for DTA case managers on cash and SNAP case handling matters and is very useful for case advocacy.
- In addition to the Online Guide, DTA has historically issued guidance through Operations Memos or monthly Transitions newsletters. MLRI has posted DTA’s older policy memos and ongoing Transitions here: Masslegalservices.org/library/directory/benefits/dta-policies-materials