What are your rights if DHCD denies your reasonable accommodation request?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed December 2019

The DHCD local office or DHCD ADA Coordinators should give you a written decision on your request for reasonable accommodation no later than 30 days from your request. If you do not receive any response to your request within 30 days you can email the ADA Coordinators by email at [email protected]. If the local office denies your request in whole or in part you can ask for reconsideration from the DHCD Central Office Accommodation Appeal Committee by filling out the back of the form and giving it to your worker. Ask your worker to give you a copy of the completed form.

If the DHCD Central Office Accommodation Appeal Committee denies your request for accommodation in whole or in part or does not make a decision within 10 days of your request for a decision, you can request a fair hearing by faxing or mailing a copy of an appeal request to the Division of Hearings. See EA and HomeBASE Appeals.

Advocacy Tips:

  • If you did not get an ADA denial from the Central Office Accommodation Appeal Committee, you may need to ask your DHCD worker for a copy of an appeal form.
  • Try to get a legal advocate to help you with your request for reconsideration and your appeal. See Appendix C for a list of legal services offices.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm