Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Important Tips

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute, Rosie's Place
Created June 2014
  • Apply for Emergency Assistance (EA) shelter at Executive Office of Housing and Livable Communities (EOHLC) offices. The EOHLC office is in the same building as the DTA office in each region.
  • Get to the office as early as you can. EOHLC offices are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The application can take all day. EOHLC may not take your application if you arrive late in the day.
  • As long as you apply early enough, EOHLC must take your application that day. If they do not take your application, ask to speak with a EOHLC supervisor or contact an advocate.
  • If you give EOHLC a few important documents and it looks like you are eligible, EOHLC must place you in shelter right away. This is called “presumptive placement.” You can get the other documents you need after you are in shelter.
  • If EOHLC gives you a “verification checklist” and tells you to come back with more documents, ask the Homeless Coordinator, “Can you place my family presumptively and help us get the documents we need?”
  • If EOHLC gives you a place in a shelter, go there that night. If you do not go, EOHLC can stop you from getting shelter for 1 year. Even if the shelter is far away, go anyway. EOHLC will provide transportation to the shelter. Later, you can ask your homeless coordinator for a transfer closer to your home community.
  • If EOHLC says you are not eligible, they must give you a written denial notice that states their reasons.
  • If EOHLC denies you or turns you away and you have no safe place to stay, ask to speak with a EOHLC supervisor, or contact your local legal services office. Call 1-800-342-LAWS (5297) or Find Legal Aid.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm