You are here

Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


Child Care for Homeless Families

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute and Greater Boston Legal Services
Created May 2009

If you are homeless, you may be able to get free or low-cost child care.

If you can get a “homeless voucher”:

  1. your child care will be free,
  2. your free child care can be full-time if you need it, and
  3. you can get child care as soon as you need it. You do not have to wait.

Homeless vouchers usually pay for child care at a licensed family and daycare center.

Sometimes DTA lets people use homeless vouchers to pay for a relative or friend to babysit. This is called “informal child care.” If you want to use your voucher for informal child care, talk to your DTA worker or your local legal services program.  There are rules about who can be an “informal child care provider” and the pay is very low.

If you cannot get a homeless voucher for child care you may be able to get an income eligible voucher. Keep reading to find out more about getting childcare.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm