You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


What to bring to the tax preparer

Reviewed March 2015

Bring these items to the neighborhood tax site, if you have them

  • Photo ID for you and your spouse,
  • Copy of 2012 tax return,
  • Social Security cards, Social Security Number verification letters, or Individual Taxpayer ID Numbers (ITIN) for you, your children, and your spouse.

Documentation of your income. This includes:

  • All W-2 forms (earnings statements) for jobs you worked in 2013,
  • All 1099 forms including 1099G forms (Government Payments). This shows other income you received for 2013,
  • All 1098 forms (tuition payments).

Bring documentation for the following, if you have it

  • Total child care expenses in 2013 - plus name, address, and Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number of child care provider,
  • Child support or alimony you received or paid,
  • Adoption expenses,
  • Student loan interest statements (total student loan interest paid),
  • Total rent paid in 2013 - landlord/rental agent's name and address,
  • Mortgage company statements or property tax bills,
  • Any letters or forms you got from the IRS.

Any other income, like:

  • Scholarships and fellowships,
  • Awards or prizes,
  • Gambling and lottery winnings.


  • If you want to file your tax return electronically and you are married filing a joint return, you need to bring your spouse. Both of you must sign the forms.
  • If you want to save some of your refund, you can tell the IRS to put some or all of it into bank accounts or IRA's for you. Bring your account and routing numbers for up to 3 accounts. These can be checking, savings or IRA accounts. Decide how much of your refund you want to put into each account. If you want to deposit your refund into a checking account, bring a blank check.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm