To eliminate an infestation
- with plastic mattress covers designed to contain dust mites and bedbugs.
- You may be able to get these plastic mattress covers from your doctor, or your doctor should know where you can get them.
Bedclothes, pillows, rugs and clothing
- Wash in hot water and dry them at high heat in commercial laundry dryers. The high heat will kill bedbug eggs.
- Keep clean laundry in sealed plastic bags to keep out bedbugs.
Discuss other steps with the exterminator.
Get the money you spent back
- Keep all your receipts for what you spent.
- Write a letter and ask your landlord pay you back the money you spent to get rid of bedbugs.
- Keep a copy of your letter and the receipts.
Stop future infestation
- Inspect furniture or luggage before moving them into your home.
- Avoid taking in furniture if you do not know where it has come from, especially if it has cracks.
- Clean carpets and vacuum floors frequently and discard vacuum cleaner bags immediately.
- Eliminate clutter in your home to reduce the narrow hiding spaces that bedbugs prefer.