Help with Deposits

Produced by Maureen McDonagh
Created May 2017

1. Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT)

RAFT is a government program that helps low-income families avoid homelessness. RAFT can be used to pay for security deposit, first and last month’s rent, bank rent, or utility bills. You must have children living with you or have a disability. The most you can get from the program is $4,000 in a 12-month period. You can apply for RAFT funds at your regional Housing Education Center.   See Massachusetts RAFT information page

2. HomeBase

HomeBase is a program that offers a fixed amount to homeless families with children and pregnant women who are eligible for the state’s Emergency Assistance (EA) program. The purpose of HomeBASE is to prevent homelessness or to help people moving out of an EA shelter. HomeBASE can be used for a variety of purposes including paying a security deposit, and first and last month’s rent. Families moving into subsidized housing can use HomeBASE for first month, last month rent, and security deposit.65

3. Private Programs

Some towns have private funds to help people in their towns who have low incomes. Ask at your local church or town hall. You may be able to get some help from the Red Cross or the Salvation Army.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm