You are here

Organizations that Help Tenants with Foreclosure

Produced by Mariah Jennings-Rampsi
Reviewed May 2017

In Massachusetts, many cities have “bank tenant associations” (BTAs). BTAs help tenants living in foreclosed buildings and homeowners facing foreclosure. BTAs:

  • Hold meetings where you can learn more about your rights.
  • Hold meetings where you can find out how to protect yourself against banks or investors who do not follow the law.
  • Organize protests and rallies to protect members who are in trouble. You do not have to participate to get their help.
  • Sometimes bring lawyers to meetings to give you legal advice.
  • May offer to send someone to negotiate with your owner to help you get repairs made or make your rent more affordable.

To find a BTA near you, call City Life:


Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm