You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Transfer your case to Housing Court

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute, with assistance from legal services offices in Massachusetts
Reviewed January 2022

Housing Courts specialize in housing matters

Housing Courts are set up to hear evictions, housing code cases, and other housing matters. They have programs like the Tenancy Preservation Project, Lawyer for the Day, and other assistance that other courts don’t have. These programs can help tenants through the court process.

A right to transfer

If your eviction case is in District Court or Boston Municipal Court, you have the right to transfer it to Housing Court.

You do not need a hearing to transfer your case. You only need to get your Transfer form to your landlord and the courts the day before your trial date.

File your Answer with your Transfer form

You will need to file an Answer form with the District or the Boston Municipal Court. It is best to file the Notice of Transfer form with your Answer. See Booklet 3: Answer.

Find the Housing Court that serves your city or town

Housing Courts serve the entire state of Massachusetts. There are 6 divisions that cover different regions of the state. Each division also holds hearings in different locations within its region. As of January 2022, the Housing Court is operating both remotely and in-person.

Find the address and phone number for the Housing Court that serves your city or town. See

Find contact information for programs that help tenants and look for additional information available in each of the divisions at

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm