You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


File an Answer

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute, with assistance from legal services offices in Massachusetts
Reviewed January 2022

When you get a Summary Process Summons and Complaint, file your Answer as soon as you can.

Use the Answer to:

  • Defend your rights,
  • Explain to the judge why your landlord should not evict you, and
  • Tell the judge what the landlord did wrong. 

Print this booklet and follow the instructions to complete your Answer.

Or use the Massachusetts Defense for Eviction (MADE) free online Answer form tool:

Try to get legal help

This information does not take the place of a lawyer.

Try to get a lawyer.

Some Legal Services offices in Massachusetts have clinics that can help you with your Answer. Contact your local legal services program to find out more about these clinics.

Some courts have a Lawyer for a Day program. The program offers free legal advice on your court day.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm