You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


What if later, I cannot keep the agreement?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute with assistance from legal services offices in Massachusetts
Created May 2017

What if later, I cannot keep the agreement?

Once you sign an agreement you cannot change it on your own. Youmay be able to change the agreement if your landlord agrees. If your landlord does not agree, you can try to ask the court to change the agreement. Use the Motion to Amend an Agreement form in this Booklet.

You can also ask the court for more time to stay while you look for another place. This is called a Motion for Stay. Use Booklet 8: Stay. At the hearing, you will have a chance to explain why you could not keep the agreement and why you need more time. Some judges may give you more time, others may not.


Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Get Negotiating a Settlement (Booklet 10)

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm