Affidavit of Indigency

Produced by Merrimack Valley North-Shore Legal Services, Inc.
Reviewed September 2013

If you need to go to court, but you cannot afford the fees and charges, you may not have to pay them. The court can “waive” the fees, or ask the state to pay the normal court fees.

The court can also waive or ask the state to pay for “extra” fees.

You must fill out a form called an Affidavit of Indigency. This form tells the court you cannot afford the fees related to your case.

If the clerk or a judge approves the form, you will not have to pay.

You can get an Affidavit of Indigency and the Supplement to the Affidavit of Indigency at any court house or online.

Find out how to ask the court to waive your fees.

Federal courts do not use this form because they have different rules.


The court will not pay for your lawyer. See Find Legal Aid to get free or low-cost legal aid.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm