You are here

Debt case in court

Produced by Greater Boston Legal Services and Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed October 27, 2020

If you were sued for a debt case in District, Small Claims or the Boston Municipal Court, your hearing will probably be by video conference or over the telephone.

Look up your case file online at Masscourts or call the clerk’s office.

Get legal advice before you sign an agreement

The lawyer for the company suing you might ask you to sign an agreement to pay outside of court. They cannot force you to make payments if they do not have a court order. And they cannot get a court order right now.  If you get a letter from them, ignore it or talk to a lawyer.  You may be able to get a lawyer for free.

Learn more about defending a debt case in court.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm