Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


Can I get TAFDC if I cannot give DTA all the documents they want?

Produced by Greater Boston Legal Services
Reviewed April 2019

Yes.  If you left a relationship where there was domestic violence, you may not have all of your paperwork, and it might not be safe for you to try to get it.

DTA can ask for proof of certain facts to make sure that you qualify for welfare.

Your worker should help you figure out how to get the documents safely. Your worker also should help you get the documents if you are having trouble getting them on your own. For every fact that you need to prove, there are different ways to prove it. For some proofs, your worker should accept a written statement from you, called a “self-declaration,” if you can't get other types of documents.

Tell your DTA worker if you are having trouble getting the proofs that he or she has asked for. The law says that your worker must help you.

Who to call for help

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm