You are here

Courts require identification to change or end a 209A Restraining Order

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed April 2021

The court should be sure the person who wants to change or end a current 209A restraining order is actually the person who filed the complaint in the first place.

It is very important to verify the identity of anybody who wants to change or end a restraining order. To stop someone from trying to impersonate you, the court clerk should ask for identification from anyone who asks to modify or terminate a 209A order.

There is a form for asking the court to modify or terminate an order. If the plaintiff is asking for the modification or termination, the court should compare the signature on the form with the the signature on the complaint. The court should make sure the two signatures match.

See Section 5:08 of the 2021 Guidelines, page 140.

Who to call for help

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm