I lost my driver's license and other photo ID. How can I prove who I am?
- Many agencies will accept your word when you apply for disaster relief.
- Others will help you get the proof you need.
- You should also take steps to get a replacement driver's license.
How can I get a replacement driver's license or ID card in Massachusetts?
- You can get a replacement Driver License or State Identification Card by filing an application form.
- You can pick up a form at any Registry of Motor Vehicles office. See the DMV's website for more locations and hours or call 800-858-3926
- Forms are also online.
How much do I have to pay for my replacement license or ID?
The Registry of Motor Vehicles may replace your licenses for free becuase of the disaster.
If not, the fee is $25.00.
What should I do if I lost my Social Security card?
- Visit a Social Security office or complete Form SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card. The online form is available in English and Spanish.
- Social Security will want evidence of your identity.
- If you were born outside of the United States, you must show proof of your U.S. Citizenship or current lawful immigration status.
How can I provide "evidence of identity"?
You can show one of the following:
- U.S. driver's license
- U.S. State-issued non-driver identity card; or
- U.S. Passport
If you do not have one of these documents and cannot get a replacement within 10 work days, Social Security may accept other documents that show your legal name and information about you, such as:
- a Military ID card
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Employee identity card
- Certified copy of medical record (clinic, doctor or hospital)
- Health insurance card
- Medicaid card
- School identity card or record
For young children, Social Security may accept medical records from a medical provider. Social Security may also accept a final adoption decree, school identity card or other school records.
If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security must see your current U.S. immigration document(s) and your foreign passport with biographical information or photograph.
How can I locate a Social Security office?
Use Social Security Administration Online Office Locator or call 1-800-772-1213.