You are here

Overpaid benefits

Produced by Greater Boston Legal Services
Reviewed January 19, 2021

If you got benefits that you did not qualify for, you must repay the money unless you get a waiver.

You can ask for waiver of overpayment if:

  • The overpayment was not your fault. And
  • You used the money for things that were not ordinary expenses, or you gave up other money, such as welfare payments, because you got unemployment benefits.

If you get regular UI, you can also ask for a waiver if your income is less than your expenses.


Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Help us improve MassLegalHelp!

Take a short survey to tell us what works and what is missing.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm