Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


COVID-19 and Housing

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed August 27, 2021

If your landlord sends you a notice to quit, you do not have to move out!

  1. Apply for rental assistance.
  2. Talk to a lawyer.

Apply for state rental assistance

Apply for state rental assistance like RAFT

See Where can I get help paying my rent?


Keep copies of all your pre-applications, applications, certifications and other documents when you apply for rental assistance.

Talk to a lawyer

A lawyer can:

  • advise you about the law,
  • refer you to resources,
  • fill out and file court papers, and
  • represent you.

A lawyer can help you before a case gets to court as well as if your case goes to court. The earlier you contact a lawyer the better.

If you are already in court – ask the court staff or the judge how you can speak with a lawyer.

If you are a tenant

Find a legal aid program that serves your Massachusetts ZIP code

If you are an owner-occupant and you live in a 2 or 3 family home

The Volunteer Lawyers Project may help owner-occupants of 2 or 3-family homes if:

  • you are or in the process of filing an eviction case, or
  • you are thinking about filing.

Contact the Volunteer Lawyers Project online, call them at 857-320-6452.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm

Court Service Centers Offer Chat


If it is
9am and 12pm