You are here

How do I file an answer?

Produced by Mariah Jennings-Rampsi, South Coastal Counties Legal Services, with funding from American College of Bankruptcy
Reviewed October 2019

District Court or Superior Court

First create your answer.

Next, give the original answer to the court.

Give a copy to the creditor’s attorney. 

Always keep a copy for yourself.

Small Claims Court

In a small claims court case, you do not have to file an answer.  You can just go to court and tell the judge or magistrate your defenses. 

But many people do file an answer. An answer lets you tell the court all the reasons the plaintiff should not win.  You have time to think about your reasons at home, and write them down.  In your answer, write down why the plaintiff should not win and what the plaintiff did wrong. These are your claims against the plaintiff.

Learn more about how a case in Small Claims Court is different on

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm