Removing Liens

Produced by Attorney Mariah Jennings-Rampsi for MassLegalHelp
Created October 2016

Do You Have Judgment Liens on any Exempt Property?

If a creditor or another person has a court judgment against you, they might have put a lien on something you own.  This is called a judgment lien. If there is a judgment lien on property that you claimed as exempt, you can ask the court to get rid of some or all of the lien.  To see your exempt property, look at Schedule C.

To ask the court to cancel a judgment lien fill out and file a Motion to Avoid Lien.


If you think there might be a lien on your car, check with your lender. If there might be a lien on your home check the registry of deeds.

Fill out a Motion to Avoid Lien right now.

Get help to write the Motion you need. Answer these questions to create a Motion to Avoid Lien, that you can edit, print, sign and file in Court:

Or get the motion as a

Word icon Word or

RTF icon Rich Text Format file.

Are you an active servicemember?

Active servicemembers may get special help from the Bankruptcy Court. If you are an active servicemember, fill out a form called "Statement of Military Service." File it with the court when you file your bankruptcy.

Filing without a lawyer

  • Bankruptcy is complicated. Filing without a lawyer is risky.
  • You can lose property and money. You can go to jail if you do not tell the truth.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm