Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Emergency Notice (新冠肺炎(COVID-19)緊急通知)


How do I apply for SNAP?

創建者 Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
审查日期 November 2013

Note: DTA local offices are once again open for limited, in person services. Click here to learn more about changes to SNAP during COVID-19.

Can I apply for SNAP?

You have the right to apply for SNAP. You should apply for SNAP even if a caseworker tells you that you cannot get them.  Caseworkers are sometimes wrong. 

In fact, the law says that the Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) must "encourage households to apply the same day the household contacts the local office in person or by phone." DTA workers cannot send you away or screen you out.

If you ask for an application at the local DTA office, DTA must give it to you or mail it right away. They must let you file it the same day you first ask to apply.

Where can I apply for SNAP?

  • You can apply online
  • You can apply over the phone. Call DTA at 877-382-2363.
  • You can apply at your local DTA office.  If you happen to go to the wrong DTA office to file your application, that office must take your application and send it to the right DTA office that serves the area where you live. 
  • You can apply by filling out and faxing your application. Download an application here.
  • You can also apply by mail. Download an application here.
  • If everyone in your household is applying for or gets SSI, you can also apply for SNAP through your local Social Security (SSA) office. You can apply for SNAP at the same time you apply for SSI or when your SSI case is being reviewed.

If I apply for cash benefits, do I need to apply separately for SNAP?

No. You automatically apply for SNAP when you apply for TAFDC or EAEDC cash assistance. If you apply for TAFDC or EAEDC, you do not have to file a separate SNAP application or have a separate interview. Also, DTA must process your SNAP application if they have the proofs they need, even if it turns out that you cannot get TAFDC or EAEDC. You can apply for cash benefits online or by calling your local DTA Office.

I get SSI or I am applying for SSI. Can I apply for SNAP at the Social Security office? 

You can apply for SNAP at the Social Security (SSA) office when you apply for SSI benefits or if your SSI benefits are being redetermined (reviewed).

SSA is supposed to take a SNAP application for you if you and everyone else in your household are applying for or get SSI. If you buy and cook food with other people in your household and they do not get SSI, you need to apply for food stamps at your local DTA office.  

The SSI worker must send your completed SNAP application and any proofs you give them to the DTA office.

 If you need emergency SNAP, you may get benefits faster if you go to the local DTA office.

When should I turn in my application?

If you apply by mail, mail in your application form right away! If you go in person to DTA, you can sign an application the very day you walk in.  If you apply online, before 5 PM, your application is filed the same day.

You will get SNAP back to the date you turn in the signed application form. Even if you cannot fill in all of the blanks, at least:

  • put down your name,
  • put down your address,
  • put down your phone number (if you have one),
  • sign and date the form,
  • turn it in.

You can give the rest of the information later. The DTA office cannot make you come back another day to file your application.

How soon will I get my benefits?

DTA has to decide on your application and make sure you get your SNAP benefits or a notice of denial within 30 days of the day you apply.

If they approve your application, you should get a DTA approval notice and your benefits by Day 30.

Can DTA help me to register to vote?

When you apply for SNAP or other DTA benefits, your DTA worker must also:

  • tell you about your option to register to vote,
  • help you fill out a voter registration form, and
  • send the form to the local city or town registrar.



如果你想尋求免費律師服務,尋求援助。(請點擊這裡 -
Find Legal Aid)