You need to get permission from the other parent or the court if:
- Your child was born in Massachusetts, or
- Your child has lived in Massachusetts for 5 years or more.
- You divorced the other parent. Or,
- You and the other parent are not married but
- have a custody or paternity case.
- the other parent signed the birth certificate, or
- the other parent signed a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Parentage. Or,
- Your move will change your parenting time schedule.
If your child has lived in Massachusetts for less than 5 years, your child’s other parent can give you permission to leave with your child. But if they do not, talk to a lawyer. There may be risks to filing something in court if your child has lived in Massachusetts for less than 5 years.