Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


How do I ask the court for permission to leave the state with my child?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute & Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts
Reviewed June 2023

If the other parent does not give you permission to leave the state with your child, ask the court for permission.

How you ask the court for permission depends if:

justice scales

You and your child’s other parent never took each other to court about the child you want to move with

You already filed a case

The other parent filed a case

Your case is over

No matter how you ask the court to let you move, the judge will not make a final decision for many months. If you need to move sooner, ask the judge to give you a temporary decision quicker. File a “Motion to Request Permission to Remove the Minor Child from the Commonwealth."

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm