You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


How do I get a child support order?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed July 2021

You get a Child Support Order by first filling out court forms. The forms are different for parents who are married or parents who are not married to the other parent.

You must fill out the right forms. You can:

Also, the Department of Revenue Child Support Enforcement Division (DOR/CSE) can prepare the court forms and file them. See The Department of Revenue.


If you do not feel safe because of the other parent, tell the DOR. And tell them you do not want the other parent to know where you live.

If your child's other parent is dangerous and has abused you or your child, you may want to think carefully about filing for child support. See Domestic Violence and Child Support.

After you fill out and file the right forms, you will go to a court hearing. At the hearing, the judge decides about child support by making a Child Support order. A Child Support order says how much a parent must pay for child support. It says when to pay, how often, and for how long. The Child Support Order is in writing and signed by the judge.

Read more about Child Support.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm