When you “testify” in court you talk about your own experiences and you answer questions. When you testify you swear you are telling the truth.
You will have to testify to the judge about why you should have custody. Describe how you meet your child’s needs, like providing your child with:
- a safe and comfortable place to live
- medical care
- proper food and clothing
- the supervision they need
- help meeting their educational needs
- daily care
- emotional support
If the other parent harms your child in any way or puts your child at risk, make sure you can give the judge specific examples when the other parent:
- abused you or your child,
- abused drugs or alcohol,
- exposed your child to domestic violence.
Collect any records and documents that show you should have custody and bring them to court with you.