You are here

Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


What documents and records should I submit to show it is in my child's best interest for me to have custody?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed February 2022

You may be able give the judge records or documents that show you should have custody. They can be:

  • Medical records,
  • A therapist’s or social worker’s records,
  • Police reports,
  • School records,
  • Your child care provider’s records,
  • Supervised visitation center records, or
  • Department of Children and Families records.

These are examples of records that other people or organizations keep. If you want the judge to see these records, you may need to subpoena the person or organization. In the subpoena, tell them exactly which records they should bring with them to court.


Know what is in the records before you subpoena them to court.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm