You are here

How do I ask for a custody order?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed February 2022


If you do not need a custody order right away to keep your children safe, you can file a case in a Probate and Family Court.

If you do need a custody order right away because of domestic violence, you can file a 209A Complaint for Protection from Abuse.

Married and unmarried parents file different forms when they need a custody order right away.

Learn more about custody parenting time and visitation in the Children and Familes section.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm

Court Service Centers Offer Chat


If it is
9am and 12 pm