You are here

Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


The Department of Revenue

The Massachusetts Department of Revenue has a Child Support Enforcement Division (DOR/CSE).  The DOR/CSE gets child support orders, helps parents change child support orders, and makes sure that parents pay their child support orders.  You can apply to DOR/CSE for help.


Produced by Attorney Jeff Wolf for MassLegalHelp
Reviewed June 2013

DOR/CSE can:

  • work with parents to get a child support order;
  • work with the Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) to get a child support order;
  • help find the other parent;
  • figure out who the father of a child is – “paternity”;
  • go to court to get child support orders;
  • collect child support and send it to the parent the child lives with;
  • review child support orders for possible changes;
  • go to court to ask to change child support orders;
  • make sure parents pay the child support by:
    • increasing the amount of child support taken from the parent’s paycheck;
    • charging interest on past-due child support;
    • seizing a parent’s property;
    • taking a parent’s tax refund;
    • levying a parent's bank account;
    • taking a parent's driver's license or professional license;
    • reporting overdue child support to credit reporting agencies; and
    • taking a parent to court.

DOR/CSE does not: 

  • deal with custody, parenting time, or visitation;
  • take either parent’s side in court. Their job is to get the right amount of child support for your child;
  • hire private investigators to see if a parent is hiding money;
  • make parents obey alimony orders if it is not part of a child support order; or
  • make parents pay child support by bringing criminal charges, except in very special situations.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm